Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Kombucha, Finally


So by now I have teased you with two different Kombucha posts, but no actual tea. And just now I am finally brewing an actual batch!

I began rehydrating my starter culture about a month ago. Now the process gets to be ridiculously easy.

This week, to make my batch of Kombucha, I heated up a big pot of water on the stove. I then poured the water into a one gallon jar along with 8 tea bags and one cup of organic cane sugar. I have been told not to use whole sugar/ rapadura, brown sugar or honey. The thing that works the best is plain old white sugar. Once the tea has cooled completely (like 12 hours) I then poured my starter in, which includes my culture SCOBI and about two to three cups of kombucha.
Now, I wait. I will try my brew about once a week. As the tea brews longer it will become more sour, more fermented and less sweet. When I find a good ratio of sour to sweet I will stop. That is where things finally get interesting! Sadly, I thought I would be enjoying Kombucha on New Year's Eve. I am not sure if that is going to be possible now given the time. Sigh. Waiting makes the heart grow anxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment