Thursday, March 10, 2011

What's Wrong With This Picture?


I took this picture last weekend when I was in the High School for Food and Finance. What is wrong with this picture? Do school kids really have open access to this kind of non-food? And could it really be sold in a vending machine as though it was healthy? Is anyone under the impression that this stuff is healthy?? How could this type of vending machine even sell the whole foods that are pictured on the outside? Are you as pissed as me?

My children will not enter NYC public schools without nutrition education. I want to make sure that they are as knowledgeable as possible before they start school. My kids' health starts with me.

5 comments:

  1. Make sure to teach them about marketing techniques early, too, and to think about what they see and hear about an item that is being promoted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in cali they have made rules about what is allowed on campus based on calorie count, but they still sell nachos with plastic cheese and they still sell bags of chips but they are of the baked variety, but still chips. Unfortunatly, if it's not avaialble at school to buy, most kids will just bring it themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that stuff is allowed on campus. Would love to hear more about practical ways to educate your kids on nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food education, like most of the education in public schools, is woefully behind the times. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete