Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Asparagus and Spinach Pizza

I am stuck in a food rut. I am hoping that the burgeoning vegetable season will inspire me to cook new foods.

Case in point, pizza. I make homemade pizza probably two to three times a month. I have fallen into a comforting routine of meaty spaghetti sauce, spinach, pepperoni (more on that later) and chevre style cheese with parmesan. The kids like it and usually eat it.

But last week I couldn’t. I was so sick of it. The kids were hungry. I knew a new concoction could backfire. But the air was balmy and blowing into my galley kitchen from the eastern side. And I said screw it. Enter pizza with olive oil, spinach, onions, asparagus, olives, chevre style cheese and parmesan cheese. Not that it is a massive difference from the original, but no sauce or meat made this pie feel very very light. Yet it was totally satisfying.

All I did was to start with my homemade whole wheat pizza crust, and add olive oil. I brushed it around so that the coating was even and went right to the end, not just where the toppings were. I then piled up the veggies, spinach first so that it cooked down followed by finely chopped asparagus, thinly sliced onions, olives and then finally the cheeses and some fresh black pepper. Everyone ate everything. I didn’t even tell Thing 1 that he had eaten asparagus. Who cares. He ate it!

If you are stuck in a rut, change it up

3 comments:

  1. So I have a really good pizza recipe for you to try but my email is being dumb. I will try to remember to post it later...It's made with pears and it's soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's that recipe:

    Pear and Gorgonzola Style
    Sounds fancy, but so delicious and easy!
    Caramelize 1 small onion. (slice very thin, saute in oil over medium high heat until browned and slightly crunchy) Spread olive oil over dough, sprinkle mozzarella, and parmesan cheese, sliced pears, caramelized onions, Gorgonzola, or Blue cheese, ground pepper, sea salt, and drizzle some honey on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shuree, this looks awesome! I will have to share it. Might even get the kids on that one as they love pears. This would also be a GREAT appetizer at a party.

    ReplyDelete