Monday, May 2, 2011

Thai Ginger Carrot Soup

I have been making my Potato and Greens Soup regularly since I posted about it last fall. It is a fabulous lunch side dish now that we are no longer eating potato chips at home. It is lovely with a salad or a sandwich. I love the velvety puree of greens and potatoes. I have also made it with kale and spinach rather than just collard greens. The recipe is flexible and easy. But the heaviness of the potatoes is a tad too wintery. With spring springing out all over the place I think have replaced it with a fresher feeling pureed soup that is even more satisfying: Thai Ginger Carrot Soup.

Last Friday my beloved City Bakery served what they called Carrot Ginger Coconut Milk Soup. I had had two cavities filled Friday morning (an appointment made in order to delay me from going to work so I could be home to watch more of the Royal Wedding), so I was looking for some puréed soup for lunch. I wasn’t that into it when they said it was carrot soup. But it was the only soup that was puréed, so I sampled it. And it was ridiculous. Savory, sweet, velvety, satisfying. Jeeeeeeez. I knew I had to make it at home. I went that afternoon to buy carrots at the USQ Farmer’s Market. I bought 4 bunches to be sure that I had enough.

I found several recipes online. Some were complicated. Some had lots of ingredients that I don’t keep around my house and buying all of them would cost me $30. And some seemed too simple. So I meshed them together to replicate what I had eaten. Of course I did! And the result was obsession inducing.

Thai Ginger Carrot Soup

1 small onion, or ½ a medium onion
2-3 inches of a leek, whites or greens are fine
7 scrubbed but unpeeled carrots (about 4 cups diced)
1-2 inches of lemongrass
¼ cup Ginger root, peeled and small dice
3 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 can coconut milk
Juice of two limes

Sautee the onion and leeks in a little coconut oil until soft. Add the carrots, ginger, lemongrass, curry powder and stock. I used water because I didn’t have any stock. But the soup really needed some richness, so I added some of the Better than Bouillon that I still keep in the fridge when I am in a pinch. Don’t tell anyone, ok? I was in fact making stock while writing this post. I just started *sigh* 3-4 hours too late for the making of this soup. Use stock be it chicken or vegetable, the soup needs the flavor, and bone broth will help the protein and mineral content.

Let the soup simmer until all the veggies are fork tender. Puree the soup either in a blender or with a handy dandy immersion blender (my pick). Stir in the can of coconut milk and don’t be tempted to use light. You’ll be hungry!!! Add the juice of two limes and a little salt to taste. Pass the soup through a strainer. That will eliminate the stringy ginger pieces. Serve and enjoy! Then proceed to the nearest market to buy enough ingredients to make a double batch tomorrow.

The post is part of the Simple Lives Thursday Blog Hop at GNOWFLINS and Sustainable Eats and more! and Fight Back Fridays at Food Renegade

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Your flavor combination sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COB, loved the soup and had to share it:

    http://notfoodscience.blogspot.com/2011/05/great-new-soup.html

    This one is just as delicious (and colorful) as your last vegetable soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night and it was so delicious! And I don't even like cooked carrots. My only comment is that I only used 1 (very juicy) lime and the lime was a little overpowering (but still very good).

    ReplyDelete