Wednesday, July 7, 2010

CSA Week 5


Okay, so I missed last week and gave the share to a friend. I like giving away a share better than selling it. And my friend took care of the cat, so I really owed her!!

This week we received cherries, one bunch of scallions, broccoli, a bunch of beets, a bunch of dandelion greens (so exciting!!), bok choy, a head of romaine lettuce, one cucumber, one yellow squash, one deliciously delectable and somehow intimidating tomato. What the heck am I going to do with THE FIRST TOMATO OF THE SEASON?? I am going to have a hard time coming up with something good enough in which to use that first tomato. A salad just isn't good enough. This is hard to live up to!

Upon receipt of the veggies, I am pleased to say that I made a new meal and it turned out quite well!! I made yummy ground beef patties with scallions and cumin with rice and a cucumber yogurt sauce. I actually think the kids would eat this. It was super easy.

Ground Beef Patties
Mix one pound of ground beef with
1/4-1/3 cup of breadcrumbs
2-3 scallions
cumin to taste (I used enough to make it the dominant flavor)
granulated garlic, salt and pepper to taste
2 beaten eggs

I mixed everything up and fried the smallish patties in a teaspoon or two of peanut oil. I served them over rice and served with a mix of yogurt, diced cucumbers and scallions with dill and salt to taste. Even DH said this one was a keeper. And he doesn't say that all the time.
And by the way--does anyone have any suggestions for the beets? I really dislike beets, but I am willing to give them another chance....

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy a chilled beet soup in the hot summer months. i'll boil the beets with some cauliflour. Puree with some elephant garlic (it's sweeter) and serve with some caramelized onions. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a cold beet salad with goat cheese, walnuts, and a balsamic vinaigrette. I peel the the beets, boil them, let them cool and then add the other ingredients. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete