Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Half Sour Pickles


I love a good Jewish Dill Pickle. Usually the ones in the unappetizing green liquid that can be procured at the supermarket leave a little something to be desired.

Last year when we started to be overrun with kirby cucumbers from the CSA I sliced them all and concocted a misguided version of refrigerator pickles. It was a mess of sugar and vinegar and I added some mustard seeds because I remember them floating around at the bottom of my favorite jar. But these things didn't taste a bit like what i had intended. I let them sit in the fridge for 6 months then chucked them. I thought I would never be able to use that tupperware again!

This year, I found a recipe online and went for the gusto. Fermented Half Sour Pickles. I found the recipe online and I had all the ingredients in my kitchen:

Jewish Half Sour Pickles
24-36 Smallish Cucumbers-like kirbys
3 Crumbled bay leaves
6 Cloves of garlic
2 Tablespoons of dried dill
1 Tablespoon of dillseed
6 Tablespoons of coarse salt
1 Tablespoon of whole mustard seeds
9 Cups of boiling water

I cut the cucumbers into spears and placed them in a 4 quart bowl (I made a half batch, so they fit just fine into my largest pyrex bowl with lid). Sprinkle the seasonings evenly over the pickles and then the boiling water. Cover with a lid and wrap in a towel. Place a heavy can on top or brick on top and place in a dark place for a week in warm weather and 10 days in cool weather. Skim the top as needed with a clean spoon.

Well the weather in the Northeast this week has been insane. We had a heat advisory most of last week. So I followed the instructions on Tuesday and I left them on my counter wrapped up until Sunday. No additional fermenting needed. They are perfect, just like I remember. They are sour, yet there is no vinegar. The salt keeps the bad buggies away, I ate two and no tummy upset. Though I have read that fermented foods are very healthy for the digestive track. It is too bad that most of the American population is skittish about leaving food on the counter. Try these. They are awesome, and they will totally keep vampires at bay. However, for the sake of my love life, I might cut back on the garlic next time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to trying these! D misses dill pickles so they'll be a treat.

    ReplyDelete