Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Great Family Dinner

DH and I were so pleased to host his two sisters and brother in law to our home on Saturday! We haven't had them over since their cutie twins were born last December. We have been busy too, I feel like the better part of this year had just slipped away from us!

It was a great opportunity to make some yummy dishes and use up some CSA veggies in the process. The menu? Crock Pot Brisket simmered with paprika, garlic and a beer, Kohlrabi slaw, Cheese Grits and Barbecue Beans. I gave you the recipe for the beans on yesterday evening, so here is the rest of them:



Kohlrabi Slaw
1 Medium Kohlrabi, purple or green-it doesn't matter
2-3 Carrots
1 head of adolescent Bok Choy (you could use half a small head of cabbage, I had the bok choy so I used it, it was perfectly fine raw)

I grated all the ingredients in the food processor and then mixed them up with the dressing. For the dressing, I just whisk everything together. Best to let it sit for a couple hours before serving.

Asian Slaw Dressing
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 squirt of honey or table sugar
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt and pepper to taste

There is not much that is sustainable, organic or even healthful about these Cheese Grits. But they are good enough that family shows up on time when they know they are being served. I have not found a local or organic source of grits. There is local and organic polenta to be had, but you really need white hominy grits for this, they taste different than yellow corn polenta. I just used Quaker Grits which unfortunately has been enriched.

Cheese Grits
1 cup White Hominy Grits
4 cups Water
1/3 cup of heavy cream (or half and half or milk) About 5-6 ounces of cheese, cheddar, or Parmesan work well, I like a salty cheese Dash of Granulated Garlic

Boil the water on a high flame. When water is at a rolling boil, sprinkle the grits in. Let them cook until the are soft, maybe 10-15 minutes. Add the cream and then the cheese. You can shred the cheese, but I am lazy so I usually just chop it. Add the garlic powder. Stir often, and when the cheese has melted you are all done. Be prepared to make these again.

I would also supply the Brisket recipe, but I just took a 4 pounder and slow cooked it in the Crock Pot for 6-8 hours. I like to let it braise in beer. It is right good. It falls apart for sandwiches but is nice in slices too.

This dinner was a huge success!!

1 comment:

  1. Is that the same brisket you served us when we came over that time? If so it was DEEELISH!

    ReplyDelete