Friday, July 9, 2010

Nuts & Trail Mix


I think nuts get a bad rap. They are filled with goodness, high in proteins and good fats. So many nutritionists are careful to tell people that nuts are healthy 'but don't consume too many as they are high in fat'. Meanwhile they are forgetting the important fact that nuts are also high in fiber and all that fat and fiber is very filling and very healthy. I don't know anyone who can eat an entire container of nuts, but I know plenty of people who could put away a bag of cheese puffs (no nutrition there). And don't forget nuts are soooo darn tasty. They are high on my list of 'happy foods'. I have a couple of nut recipes I would like to share. I prefer toasted nuts. Too many raw nuts give me a tummy ache. I have been told that raw nuts are better, higher in nutrition, but I have not done the research. If someone knows please comment!

Really Awesome Trail Mix
1/2 cup of almonds
1 cup of peanuts
1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
1/2 dried cherries
1/2 milk chocolate chips

Mix all together and enjoy. This is such a great snack and good for the kids. There is some sugar from the fruit and of course getting Thing 1 to eat chocolate is about as hard as getting a sunburn on a hot day. But overall it is packed with protein and really good fats. However I will say at the beach, the chocolate chips kind of melted and got everywhere, sticking all the nuts and fruit together. I don't think it was such a bad thing, but it was pretty messy. We did throw a lttle of it on top of granola for a snack also. It was wicked.

White Chocolate & Blueberry Mix
1 cup of almonds
1 cup of dreid bluberries
1/2 cup of white chocolate chips

Mix and enjoy! This is a personal favorite (of mine and my office gals). I was allergic to cocoa and chocolate as a kid so I still have a soft spot in my heart for white chocolate.

A Good Topping for Everything
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
2 tbsp sesame seeds

This is a mix that I altered from an Elie Kreiger recipe (a personal Food Network favorite) In her recipe she mixes them with maple syrup for a pancake topping. I like the the plain unsweetened mix to top yogurt and berries. It is also great on granola, oatmeal and even ice cream. I need some protein in the morning, and a couple tablespoons of this really keeps me full all morning. And of course it is packed with fiber.

Yum! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Regarding the raw versus toasted nuts: I didn't look up nuts specifically, but I'm pretty sure I read in one of Michael Pollan's books that often cooked foods are actually better because the cooking process makes nutrients more accessible. I also heard a program on Public Radio International's "To The Best of our Knowledge" earlier this spring (maybe in May?) about cooked versus raw food, in which some of the contributors made the same conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This looks really good! I actually have about half the ingredients on hand to make up some of this. My kids love trail mix stuff so will have to try this one.

    BTW, I popped on here to tell you that you are a winner of the Coach's Oats giveaway on my blog. Contact me at mealmagic (at) gmail (dot) com with your mailing info. (I didn't see an email address on your profile). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete