Wednesday, July 14, 2010

CSA Week 6







This week at the CSA we got big beautiful broccoli, sweet white turnips that the farmer said you had to try at some point in the season, scallions, chard, a hearty variety of kale, one yellow squash and one stripy guy, red leaf lettuce, 4 tiny cucumbers and cherries.

I have been so tired with DH working late this week that I don't feel like cooking much. However I have pulled through. After the Things found there way to dreamland I finished up the last of last week's scallions and some spinach that I never should have bought at the farmer's market last weekend. I fried the scallions in a little oil, added a few ounces of pork sausage and let that fry for a while. Then I added a half a cup of cooked kasha. Although I wasn't sure what kasha was, and after I cooked it I wasn't sure that I liked it, but I was starving. After the kasha I tossed in the spinach and the last of that fat squash my SIL gave us this weekend (The kids ate most of it for din din tonight). This was actually good. Different, but good.

And do you know what I didn't find out until after I ate? Kasha is (are) buckwheat groats.

No comments:

Post a Comment